Author Topic: Do you take your pets with you when you go camping?  (Read 9648 times)

Offline jpak

• Swag User
Do you take your pets with you when you go camping?
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »
Hi all,
We are still researching campers and wondered what you do with your pets if you go camping a lot?  We have two small maltese Shitzu and will be camping quite a bit on weekends when we eventually get our camper and do not have anyone who can look after the pets for us and dont want to have them always in care when we are away so your advice would be great especially about places to go camping that dogs are ok. Cheers John

Offline mark40

• Swag User
Re: Do you take your pets with you when you go camping?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
Where abouts are you?

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »
Bush Camping with Dogs, ISBN 0-646-40340-0.

Haven't used it as such, yet, da pooch still prone to up-chucking, and he's not going to do THAT in my Cruiser!   8)
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
i leave my 2 at home for weekends away plenty of seperate water containers in case they knock one over, a couple of beef leg bones to keep them busy & extra dry food.never had a drama.

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »
Yep we too dont really have anyone to look after our pooch, so she comes with us on our weekend adventures
and has done many a MySwag weekend.

Though it can be restrictive as to where you go and what you can do, We do however get her boarded when we take extended trips/holidays. she goes back to the lady we got her from as we know she'll be looked after (spoiled) and not locked away in a cage for the duration.

If using caravan parks you'll find the ones that do take dogs are only outside peak periods, and I can understand that. long weekends are usually also classified as "peak" also. this is especially the case for coastal parks  Also parks (other than Big4) that advertise NO DOGS quite often do allow them. They do this so they can decide when they will and wont allow them.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 01:03:51 PM »
Never leave home without my fur babies, they are family members and go camping with me all the time including weekends and holidays.

Never had any issues with them accompanying me either and yes there are some restrictions like NPs but I figure the company of my little ones far surpasses any NP experience.

There will come a day when I no longer have them and that will be the time when I will check out the NPs.

Not sure where you are located but up this way SEQ and Northern NSW there are plenty of campgrounds & CPs that are pet friendly.  The only places you will experience any difficulty is on the tourist strip....along the coast but there are always alternatives.

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
We take ours depending on where we are going but are very conscious of keeping them under control and quiet.  We took them to the newbees gathering that Speewa organised a little while back.  We do know from experience that there is nothing worse than camping with others nearby who let their dogs run around annoying other campers.
 :cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »
we are going but are very conscious of keeping them under control and quiet. 

there is nothing worse than camping with others nearby who let their dogs run around annoying other campers.
 :cheers:
Dave

Totally agree with both of your statements Dave, very true on both counts.

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
We normally take our mutt camping with us and he seems to love it as much as we do. We're happiest free camping & being a long way from our closest neighbour. Even then we watch that he doesn't disturb the wildlife and that his poo's are all bagged, tagged & binned.

This coming May we're off for 3 months camping and thanks to friends looking after the dog, we will finally be able to enjoy National Parks around the country. Our deal is that we are happy to look after their dog for when ever they travel overseas & visa versa. It's a win/win.  :D

So my advice to those intersted in camping in National Parks, would be to form a dog minding group of like minded folk and everyone can share the furry ones around. Works well enough for us.  ;D

Cheers - Wayne
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
We take ours when allowed.
When not allowed he goes to the kennals (spa).
We have a foldable 3m x 3m pen he stays in when he doesnt want to listen.
He is more than capable of jumping out of it but never has.
At nights he sleeps on the floor inside the c/t.
We never leave him in camp alone...
Bill and Morag
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:53:10 PM by Bill »
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
We take the pooches whenever possible, camping is not the same without them, in fact we bought the Aussie Swag as much for them as us!

Don't assume that a caravan park that advertises itself as no pets is, give them a call to ask ahead, and let them know your dogs are well behaved as are you, you may be in with a chance. Except, as mentioned, Big 4.

Am not at all a fan of leaving any dogs home by themselves for a whole weekend, too many things can go wrong, and it's certainly no good for the neighbours if the dogs bark and/or whine while you're away because of the change of routine. Spend the bit extra and get them kennelled, or get someone to look after them, more than the 5 minutes a day to feed and water them. They are not plants. There are plenty of places to take dogs if you do your research, and its great quality time.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline georgel

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
If they're well behaved, take 'em with ya I say.  Sure there are places where they're not welcome, but it makes it all the better relaxing at the end of the day with your best mate. 

I lost my 4yr old pug late last year and never got to take her out in the new camper.  I regret it every day :(

The latest 'Life be in it - Holidaying with Dogs' is pretty useful.

Offline Anfos

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
We try to take our boy as often as we can too. Like Yoda, we selected our CT as much for him as us.
We also have that life be in it book and it's a great tool when traveling with your furry companions (no, the dog, not the mrs!)
Take your dog where ever you can but please be responsible too.
Anfos

2010 Triton and Pioneer Argyle SE

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 10:29:59 PM »
We have 2 dogs (Husky x & Bull Arab x Mastiff) and they come camping with us just about everywhere. We recently took them on the longest trip they (and us) had been on - for 3 weeks over christmas/new year. We avoid caravan parks where we can and study & live by 3 books. South WA dog freindly camp book, Camps 5 & Guide to WA Camping by Boiling Billy. We leave the dogs at the camper if we are going somewhere not dog freindly (such as NP's or shops/tourist activities etc). They guard our camper for us but are tied up usually to one the wheels on the camper. Most people dont even know they are there as they rarely bark or make any noise etc. They usually sleep during the day anyways and stay awake all night. We normally set up camp as far away from everyone else as possible (i like my serenity). We make sure our dogs dont annoy anyone - we often get comments from other campers saying they didnt even know the dogs were there. They stay either in their beds or tied up unless we take them for a walk/swim.

Over christmas, the free camping places we stayed were packed so we took them with us most days (just cause you cant always trust kids not to go near the camper if they see the dogs). In those instances we just put them under the car with plenty of water and parked where no one else would (benefits of a 4wd ;D ). If you plan ahead and have the right books and info, we usually can camp with the dogs without too much hassel.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:33:42 PM by HerGU »

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:43 PM »
Currently, One of our requirements for a camp ground is that it is pet friendly.  We have a 8 year old chocolate Labrador and we take her with us.  She is very friendly and fairly quite and is always under control.  The arthritis is starting to slow her up, but she still enjoys herself, and we always pick up after her.  It annoys me when others let their flea factory wonder around, crapping where they please and annoying others. 

Recently we went to a organised camping weekend and at the morning tea it was:- "here comes Henna (dogs name) and her parents".  The pooch can be a terrific ice breaker to meeting people

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 06:39:21 PM »
We have never left our guys alone for 4 reasons 1) they would howl, because they are wusses who have led a sheltered life :laugh: 2) we don't want to risk them tying themselves up in knots wnd getting stuck without shade or access to water, 3) we want them to be with us, and 4) we don't want to chance them getting stolen.

We've taken them to many a cafe before, always asked if it's ok to have them with us, and have never had a knockback. Most places have even brought out a bowl of water for them. There are benefits to having non threatening looking beagles, most people can't help smiling at them!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »

Wish my Cattle x Collie and Scotch Collie weren't as threatening looking ... oh hang on ... it's the growling "cause you are too close to my mum" that might put people off!   :cup:

Used to have an old Cattle Dog "Digger" ... worth his weight in Meaty Bites that one ... I was travelling north from the 5 ways (you'll know where that is) and came upon a line of 'locals' across the road all wanting a lift to Katherine (it's one way to stop a car I guess).  Me and Digger the only current passengers.  As one bloke leaned in the window saying "You take us all to Katherine", the dog "leaned" out and repeatedly said "Nope don't think so buddy".  As I held my good old mate back, I said to the fella "Dog says No sorry" and the line of men parted so I could drive through.

Guess who got a big fresh bone from the butcher that night?

All single girls should travel with a feisty puppy on board.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Murray

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »
Last Christmas we went to Sth Ballina Caravan Park. They are dog friendly and dogs are allowed in the cabins as well. The van park in behind the dunes where there is 4x4 access (no permit needed). Our Kelpie ran herself exhausted and loved running into the surf. When we are back at the tent she sleeps. Best holiday ever for the dog.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:19:59 PM by Murray »

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
The only issues are national parks but they let my wife in so alls good. ;D

Bad Mark :angel:

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline dazzawhipple

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »
we have a 3year Chocolate Labrador that comes with us ......

She has allways slept in a foldable cage, so we take that with us, that's where she sleeps in the awning.
Landrover Discovery 3 Auto.......spec changing will update later

2015 Forward fold MDC Cruiser

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
It's good to hear so many people having success with camping with their dogs.

I'd like to take our mongrels (Badger, a purebred shorthair Border Collie; and Boris, an Alaskan Malamute x Siberian Husky x white German Shepherd) with us, however:
A) they're both too stupid,
B) they're both too friendly,
C) they're both too stupid.

Neither would hurt a soul, but they're large, and they're idiots, which is a scary combination for non-dog-people. They're decent guard dogs though, so I'd worry about them protecting the camp a bit to vigorously from wildlife (Badger, in particular, is a great snake dog unfortunately, and neither of them have much time for cats) or just other people walking past who really should be stopping to pat them. At 3 in the morning. Again, they wouldn't hurt a fly, but they've both got good barks on them.

As such, if we go away for a weekend their job is to stay home and keep the patio gecko and lizard free. After all, someone needs to sit around all day sleeping, it may as well be them!

I like Kit_e's story - I'll bet he got pats all the way home!

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
Well spoken McGirr  :cheers:

I can't believe you said that though..........hahahahahaha

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 06:31:21 AM »
Hi all ,
we have the best of both worlds,
hosting a guide dog in its final training, great dogs, do everyything on command (even poop), we just have to not "undo" any of the good training already done,
if we go away for the weekend and choose not to take then get them looked after somewhere else in side the organisation
the dog goes "everywhere" with us, including supermarkets, shops, restaurants etc etc etc (even the big 4 c/parks), catch is that joe public cant pet or acknowledge the dogs whilst in the jacket (most people understand), but at home "not working" they are the best dogs ever.
I almost drive past the training facility to and from wk so I drop and pick up morning/night

and yes they are easy to give back, as a blind person has much more of a need than our family does for such a wonderful animal  and then we get to know another one, even the kids can't wait to get the next one when one goes,

we are just all so fortunate to have our sight that we can go an camp and do things and SEE this great country we live in

cheers
Garry

Variflex

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
I only take the wife, Ooh, Hold on, That should be in the which route do you take thread  ;D

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »
Yep,
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:57:53 PM by mystq »
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat