Author Topic: Favourite Location(s)  (Read 14764 times)

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
Favourite Location(s)
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »
Hi Swaggers
Although I am not as extensively travelled as most of you, I have some favourite places that I simply love to go, and I would really reading about some other Swaggers favourite places and why these locations are favoured.
One of my preferred locations is not far out of Halls Creek (WA) on the Duncan Highway heading for Kalkaringi (Wave Hill / Top Springs).  We call this place "Palm Springs", as it a creek with palm trees and rock faces with a couple of water falls.  The serenity of the area is an experience in itself, the beauty shows the incredible capabilities of nature at its best.
On the way there from Halls Creek one travels through the Old Halls Creek townsite, which shows the marvels of past settlers with mud brick constructions and the like.
I wonder what some others people favoured places are and why, and if there are any photo's.
Regards
Tjupurula
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:39:54 AM by Tjupurula »

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Favourite Location(s)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »
Hi Swaggers
Although I am not as extensively travelled as most of you, I have some favourite places that I simply love to go, and I would really reading about some other Swaggers favourite places and why these locations are favoured.
One of my preferred locations is not far out of Halls Creek (WA) on the Duncan Highway heading for Kalkaringi (Wave Hill / Top Springs).  We call this place "Palm Springs", as it a creek with palm trees and rock faces with a couple of water falls.  The serenity of the area is an experience in itself, the beauty shows the incredible capabilities of nature at its best.
On the way there from Halls Creek one travels through the Old Halls Creek townsite, which shows the marvels of past settlers with mud brick constructions and the like.
I wonder what some others people favoured places are and why, and if there are any photo's.
Regards
Tjupurula

I think i know this spot, just past old halls creek on the left hand side, theres a few palms and some water ? am i right?  if so i think its a great little spot also.

Two of my favourite places are Cape Leveque / one arm point and Marella Gorge, marella gorge was great we were the onlyones there, its easy to miss as you drive along the Duncan Road, but we found the track in and were the only ones there for 5 days, was truly wonderful being out there by ourselves and did some exploring with our 3 year old daughter - definately a place i will get back to.

Great topic.

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:48:29 AM »
I think i know this spot, just past old halls creek on the left hand side, theres a few palms and some water ? am i right?  if so i think its a great little spot also.

Two of my favourite places are Cape Leveque / one arm point and Marella Gorge, marella gorge was great we were the onlyones there, its easy to miss as you drive along the Duncan Road, but we found the track in and were the only ones there for 5 days, was truly wonderful being out there by ourselves and did some exploring with our 3 year old daughter - definately a place i will get back to.

Great topic.

Yes KieranR you have the correct location.
Tjupurula

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:28 AM »
Most places in the vic high country.. Its just a lovely place to be..

Enjoyed balarji rock near kalgoolie hwy, cant remember exactly..

Lake jasper, was nice, especially if u can have it to yourself and camp on the beach..  Norty but nice.

1993 80 series landcruiser

crackacoldie

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
One of my favourites is the breakaways, just north of Coober Pedy, unbelievable how nature can paint a canvas in the middle of nothing.  So quiet and colourful.

Also love to sit on the banks if the river Murray, anywhere along the majestic river is good, to watch the world go by is so relaxing.

:cheers: Cracka
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:46:41 AM by crackacoldie »

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »
Exmouth - WA west coast
Coral Bay - WA west coast
Point Samson  WA west coast
Dongara - WA west coast
Hamlin Bay - WA wes coast
West MacDonald Ranges - Central Australia
Merniee Loop road - Central Austrlia'
Henbury Metior crater - Central Australia
Wycliffe Well - Central Australia
Kathrine - Central Australia
Kakadu - NT
Lichfield - NT
Lake Argyle - either NT or WA cant remember
Gibb River road - either NT or WA cant remember
Claire Valley - SA
Renmark - VIC border
Gentle Annie - VIC
Wondonga area
Catherine Hill Bay - NSW
Nelson bay and stocton - NSW
Ruins just out of forster - NSW
Coff Harbour - NSW
Ballina -NSW
Fraser Island - QLD
1770 - QLD

More of central oz and QLD to do
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »
Tin Can Bay is our No 1 bestest ever spot, hence, thats why we live here, but Fraser Island is our No 1 camping spot.

I was looking at google the other night at some spot in W.A. called Lake Gregory which seemed like a bit of a special spot too.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
I was over 50 before I first saw a desert, but for some reason it got me hooked.

So my current favourite is anywhere in north east SA where you can see for miles, and the plants and terrain subtly change if you are paying attention.  Always thought it would be boring until I got there. Now I seem to be heading that way regularly. 

Other favourites would be the Snowies or Wallis Lake at Forster.     

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline LeeLass

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »
Have only started touring the past few years but the Simpson Desert has stolen my heart. ..the richness of the dunes and the amazing hues of the plant life surrounding them can't be compared so far....l look forward to many more years of awe inspiring scenery ahead of me.

Sent from my smartphone  via tapatalk and the wonder of blondness :0)

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
Tin Can Bay is our No 1 bestest ever spot, hence, thats why we live here, but Fraser Island is our No 1 camping spot.

I was looking at google the other night at some spot in W.A. called Lake Gregory which seemed like a bit of a special spot too.

It is not too bad around here, but I do not have to travel to camp here, just open my front door.
Tjupurula

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
Tanami Desert where I met my Husband!

At the moment Busselton WA is certainly not a bad place to live. Really liked Nannup too but moved here for the kids so they wouldn't have to travel a huge way later down the track.

We got married at the Old Telegraph Station in Alice :)

The kids have a soft spot for Kalgoorlie (eldest Son who was born there) and Darwin (youngest Daughter born there). DD doesn't remember much of Darwin so we're doing that trip mid next year all going to plan (should have the camper by then)
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
favourite camping spot is Bendethra in winter because of the emptyness of it, favourite weekend camping spot is Newnes as it has everything i like in a camp site and its within a 1 1/2 hours of home

favourite spots to visit or distance camp are Esperence, Port Lincoln National Park & anywhere in Tasmania
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 06:39:39 AM »
Tanami Desert where I met my Husband!

At the moment Busselton WA is certainly not a bad place to live. Really liked Nannup too but moved here for the kids so they wouldn't have to travel a huge way later down the track.

We got married at the Old Telegraph Station in Alice :)

The kids have a soft spot for Kalgoorlie (eldest Son who was born there) and Darwin (youngest Daughter born there). DD doesn't remember much of Darwin so we're doing that trip mid next year all going to plan (should have the camper by then)

Okay Pebble you have my curiousitythrough the roof, as I am from Mulan (Lake Gregory) in the Tanami Desert.  In which community were you when you met your husband, or where you just travelling through.   Well done on your choice of where to get married, that walk from the Todd Tavern traffic lights to the Old Telegraph Station is about the only thing good about Alice Springs, other than the Reptile Park (which made me hungry).
Regards
Tjupuruls

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 06:48:10 AM »
Favourite Location would be Greens Pool between Denmark and Peaceful Bay on WA Southern coast - Shelly Beach in Torbay would have to be one of my favourite locations to camp
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 06:49:15 AM »
I was over 50 before I first saw a desert, but for some reason it got me hooked.

So my current favourite is anywhere in north east SA where you can see for miles, and the plants and terrain subtly change if you are paying attention.  Always thought it would be boring until I got there. Now I seem to be heading that way regularly. 

Hi RedCherokee
I don't wish to seem biased, even though I am, but there are other amazing deserts around, and belive me when I state that they can be astonishingly beautiful.  The CSR, from Billililuna to Wiluna (or the other way around) is quite enjoyable.  I have travelled that route some 15 or 16 times for ceremonial reasons, as my wife is a TO (Traditonal Owner.....Govenment Terms) which means that area owns her.  Kunawaritji (Well 33) is a lovely community, and the Martu tribal people are always willing to help.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
Hi RedCherokee
I don't wish to seem biased, even though I am, but there are other amazing deserts around....

Lol! You may well be right, but I need the time to get to some of those places and it hasn't happened yet.  Maybe next year?  Gotta hurry up or it will all be bitumen.

Cheers.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline staghornflat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 09:59:07 PM »
Mt Pinnibar in the upper Murray. Up there I'm happy.
2017 200 Cruiser
2010 KK limited edition

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
Okay Pebble you have my curiousitythrough the roof, as I am from Mulan (Lake Gregory) in the Tanami Desert.  In which community were you when you met your husband, or where you just travelling through.   Well done on your choice of where to get married, that walk from the Todd Tavern traffic lights to the Old Telegraph Station is about the only thing good about Alice Springs, other than the Reptile Park (which made me hungry).
Regards
Tjupuruls

Lol so if anyone goes to the Reptile Park and don't see any goannas they'll know why? :)

He was working at the Tanami Gold Mine when I went there for work experience during my Tafe course. When we got together after I finished my studies back in Canberra we brought a caravan and lived in Alice for about a year or so before moving on to Norseman. At the stage when we were getting married we lived in Norseman, but his side of the family was in Perth and mine in Canberra so it made sense.
We also worked at the Granites Mine for a bit. That wasn't as memorable as the Tanami for me though, at the Granites I was just cutting core, at the Tanami mine I got to do a lot of rehab (plugging drill holes) which meant driving and walking around looking for old drill holes, just myself and another work experience lady. We got to see camel footprints (not sure if we ever managed to track down the camels), dingoes following us, it was great. Beautiful countryside.

We have moved a fair bit since, but somewhat settled now with the kids in school. Mid next year we plan to drive from Perth through to Alice and up to Darwin then back through the Kimberley. Although hearing talk of the Tanami getting sealed maybe we should go that way.
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 11:11:29 PM »
Mt Pinnibar in the upper Murray. Up there I'm happy.

Heading there on the 15th for the snow trip... You sure your busy?  ;)

Anywhere there is snow, but falls creek is my favorite place to be. I even have a countdown every year on my phone for snow season.  :cup:

cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 05:56:01 AM »
Lol so if anyone goes to the Reptile Park and don't see any goannas they'll know why? :)

He was working at the Tanami Gold Mine when I went there for work experience during my Tafe course. When we got together after I finished my studies back in Canberra we brought a caravan and lived in Alice for about a year or so before moving on to Norseman. At the stage when we were getting married we lived in Norseman, but his side of the family was in Perth and mine in Canberra so it made sense.
We also worked at the Granites Mine for a bit. That wasn't as memorable as the Tanami for me though, at the Granites I was just cutting core, at the Tanami mine I got to do a lot of rehab (plugging drill holes) which meant driving and walking around looking for old drill holes, just myself and another work experience lady. We got to see camel footprints (not sure if we ever managed to track down the camels), dingoes following us, it was great. Beautiful countryside.

We have moved a fair bit since, but somewhat settled now with the kids in school. Mid next year we plan to drive from Perth through to Alice and up to Darwin then back through the Kimberley. Although hearing talk of the Tanami getting sealed maybe we should go that way.

Hi Pebble
The Tanami mine has been shut down completely, but the Granites has been expanded.  There are two new sections to the Granites now, accessed on the Tanami Downs Cattke Station access road, one of the new parts is called "Dead Bullock Soak" and the other stage isyet to be named.  There is also the relatively new Coyote mine, just inside the WA border now.  We opened that one with a corroboree a few years ago when Michael Jeffrey was the Governer General, and a sincerely nicve bloke to chat with as we found out.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 06:21:22 AM »

The desert for sure. But  my ultimate location is home!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:23:10 AM by fuji »
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »
Hi Pebble
The Tanami mine has been shut down completely, but the Granites has been expanded.  There are two new sections to the Granites now, accessed on the Tanami Downs Cattke Station access road, one of the new parts is called "Dead Bullock Soak" and the other stage isyet to be named.  There is also the relatively new Coyote mine, just inside the WA border now.  We opened that one with a corroboree a few years ago when Michael Jeffrey was the Governer General, and a sincerely nicve bloke to chat with as we found out.
Regards
Tjupurula

Did you ever know Fred Murray? I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Tanami Mine (that was back when it was run by Otter Gold).

I recall the name Dead Bullock Soak, maybe it was an exploration area back then. The Tanami Mine had some interesting pit names too!

Good memories for me anyway.
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline staghornflat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 09:18:38 PM »
Heading there on the 15th for the snow trip... You sure your busy?  ;)

Anywhere there is snow, but falls creek is my favorite place to be. I even have a countdown every year on my phone for snow season.  :cup:

cheers
Evo
Plans have changed abit but still not sure if I'll be free and I don't want yes and not make it. I'll keep an eye out for the next for sure.
2017 200 Cruiser
2010 KK limited edition

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
Hi Swaggers
Regards
Tjupurula

It is a beautiful spot. We tend to try and get there after a trip to Ringer Soak for a few hours (Calling it lunch time)
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
Anywhere camping is good love it even more if we can take our dogs. We love to camp on the Murray River at Cobram Vic close to home. Look forward to seeing more great places.